History of Meadow Creek Church
Meadow Creek is a small stream flowing to the northeast and emptying its water into the Nolichuckey River near the Allens Bridge. It apparently received its name from the narrow strips of meadow land skirting its borders for a number of miles on either side toward its source in the mountains. In 1812, a Presbyterian Church began meeting on the west bank of the Meadow Creek. The church was located about 1.5 miles from the mouth of the creek and was a branch of the Timber Ridge Presbyterian Church. The church naturally took its name from the name of the stream upon the banks of which its first songs and prayers were uttered. The meetings originally took place in a large two story log school house with a stone chimney. In 1837, certain members of the Timber Ridge Church living on the south side of the Nolichuckey petitioned French Broad Presbytery to organize a church at Meadow Creek Academy. This was necessary since there were only two places to ford the river near the Meadow Creek community. The petition was granted and Rev Nathaniel Hood was granted to do the work. There were 27 members on the first roll of Meadow Creek Presbyterian Church in 1837, including 3 black members.
Although there were other church buildings used on the current property during the 19th century, on April 1, 1929, the first services were held in the present brick church building. Richard Steele is the 40th pastor to serve the Meadow Creek Presbyterian Church since 1812. We rejoice that after over 200 years of organized existence we are able to testify to the same religious convictions as our founding fathers and mothers. We believe the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God, the only infallible rule of faith and practice. We affirm the Westminster Confession of Faith, with its Larger and Shorter Catechisms, as containing the system of doctrine taught in the Holy Scriptures. And we approve the form of government and discipline of the Presbyterian Church as being in conformity with the principles of the Bible. Our fathers have handed down to us the faith once delivered unto the saints, yet we confess that it is the Almighty God who has empowered them and worked through them to accomplish His blessed purpose and to Him we give all the glory.
More interesting reading:
The 273 Founding Churches of the PCA